Vice Squad
Wednesday, May 05, 2004
 
Mini-Constitutional Issue


O.k., this story is a little outdated, as it first appeared in the papers in April, but I like it.

South Carolina's Constitution mandates that bars and restaurants serve liquor from "minibottles" like you get on airplanes, thus giving consumers nearly twice as much alcohol in their drinks as they get in other states. Law makers are now considering removing the 30-year-old provision from the state's Constitution.

What I enjoy is the thoughtful debate surrounding this issue. One bar owner is concerned that the demise of the minibottle will hurt younger bartenders who don't have a lot of experience, because it is difficult to teach a college kid how to pour a shot from a big bottle. Now, as a former bartender, I agree that it's not an easy job, but I'm pretty sure that learning to pour a shot was not the biggest hurdle I had to overcome to succeed at that job.

Labels:



Powered by Blogger