Vice Squad
Wednesday, June 16, 2004
 
A Glorious Celebration of Vice, A Time Gone By


And Further Proof That I Was Born Two Decades Too Late...

Just saw the documentary film, The Cockettes. I had never heard of these guys before! Anyway, the movie gives us a pretty cool look at some fringe individuals for a brief period in time during the late 60's/early 70's. Social attitudes, definitions of art, drug experiences, the political correctness of stealing, childrearing, and sexual boundaries (or lack thereof) are chronicled in this film.

It brought to mind Hunter Thompson talking about same time, same place, "We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark -- that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

I know I've referred to this quote before, and I don't mean to sound like a silly hippie, but the sweet, innocent, and drug crazed individuals shown in this movie have me feeling a bit sentimental. I know it's easy to romanticize about a time I don't really know first-hand, and I know many who would disdain the values these people embodied - in fact, the glee these guys took in receiving welfare payments would leave some of my most "liberal" friends cringing. It was just a different time.

Regardless of your politics though, The Cockettes is an interesting documentary and a rare, intimate glimpse of a marginalized group of people at a remarkable time in our nation's history.

Labels: ,



Powered by Blogger